Monday, April 7, 2008

An Email Message from a Craigslist Scammer

A word to the wise ... purchase vehicles locally. See them in person, test drive them, and have mechanics check them out before you enter into an agreement to buy a vehicle. DO NOT buy a vehicle sight unseen.

Do not fall for a scam like this. Although eBay owns a percentage of Craigslist, that is its only affiliation. Craigslist deals cannot be consummated through eBay. eBay does not offer an inspection period to buyers, and eBay does not hold money in escrow for sellers.

Think about it! Craigslist posts are free ... why would a legitimate seller that has posted a vehicle for sale on Craigslist want to pay eBay a hefty listing fee? The only possible reason is to scam the buyer. Take control. Do your homework. Do not give your money to a thief!


From: S W
Sent: Monday, April 7, 2008 9:36:02 AM
Subject: 2003 Corolla

Hello and sorry for my delay, I`m Sgt. Robert Simpson. This 2003 Corolla is in perfect working condition. This vehicle engine runs very, very smooth. No electrical problems on this beauty. This detailed vehicle makes the exterior looks like it just came off the assembly line. The car has 76200 miles. VIN Number: jtdbr32e130038947

Options:
KEY LESS ENTRY
POWER WINDOWS
CD
POWER DOOR LOCKS
POWER STEERING
POWER MIRRORS
AIR CONDITIONING
AM/FM RADIO
LE
2 WHEEL DRIVE
AIR BAG
4 CYLINDER 1.8 LITER
Transmission: Automatic

Here are the pics of the car.

As I know that my current situation is pretty special I want the deal closed only through eBay Motors Vehicle Purchase Protection (VPP) in order for you to be 100% protected. You will make the payment to eBay and they will hold the money until you receive the car. ONLY AFTER you receive the car and you inspect it (for 10 days) eBay will release the payment to me; in this way we are both protected.

Anyway I am sure that if you will don't be satisfied about the car I will surely find another buyer in your area and there will be no need for you to ship the car back. I am located in London, United Kingdom and I was sent here to improve the military relationships between USA and UK. One month ago, my wife moved here with me and brought the car with her but now we have to sell it back in the United States because we can't register it here; it has US specs and everything, and registering it here in Europe will take for ever.

My final price on it is US 2,960 $. If you will take it for this price, I am willing to handle the shipping. It will be shipped from here by plane with US Air Military Cargo so it will not cost me anything. You will get it to the nearest airport in your area and then it will be trucked forward to your place. You will receive the car in about 3 max 4 business days. Please get back to me asap if you decide to buy, and include in your e-mail your full name and address where you want it shipped so I can start the deal with eBay. You will receive all the transaction payment and shipping details from them.

Best Regards,

Robert Simpson

Americans, whether they live in the United States or abroad, do not place the dollar sign ($) after the dollar amount.

No comments: